Monday, January 21, 2013

Utah "Mormon" Scones

Growing up in Utah I was raised on Hot Scones.  Every year they would have a big festival in my hometown and a group would set up a tent and sell the most amazing hot, buttery, flaky, and delicious, scones.  They seriously were to die for.  Well a little later on in my life (yes, just this year) I was looking through my Dad's recipes when I came across the group's recipe that sells the scones.  He used to work for them when he was little, and he has the recipe!  I about died, and I knew I had to share it with all of you.  It's just too good to not share, and everyone across the country deserves to try the Utah "Mormon" Scones!!  Enjoy!
 
 Ingredients
1 C. Warm Water
1 C. Warm Milk
1 Tbs. Dry Active Yeast
3 Tbs. Sugar
1/4 C. Melted Butter, cooled
1 Tbs. Salt
5-6 C. Flour
Vegetable Oil for Deep Frying
 Directions
Combine warm water and warm milk.  Stir in the sugar.  Add dry active yeast and stir lightly.  Allow yeast to activate, about 10 minutes.  

In a stand mixer, fitted with a bread hook, add milk mixture and melted cooled butter.  Add the salt.  Start the mixer and add the flour one cup at a time until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.  Dough should be slightly sticky but workable.  Cover the dough in the bowl with a towel.  Set in a warm place and allow raise until double.

Pour your oil in a large pan (with sides deep enough to fully immerse the scones) or a deep fryer and heat slowly over medium to medium high heat.  While the oil is heating, roll the dough out onto the counter, without flour, into a large rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.  You may choose to butter the counter lightly.  Using a pizza cutter, cut into squares. 

Heat oil to between 350 – 400 degrees and cook scones until golden brown.  Serve immediately with honey butter or buttermilk maple syrup.  Delicious!

2 comments:

  1. Best recipe ever! Flippin amazing! Reminds me of my childhood in Provo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Had these in a restaurant outside SLC, unforgettable. Thankyou

    ReplyDelete